The Acai Berry – A Natural Superfood
Acai bowls are my most recent post-workout obsession! Not only are acai bowls great for you, but they are also super yummy and make the perfect breakfast, snack, or post-workout meal! Acai bowls are incredibly easy to make – once you have the base, the topping options are endless, so feel free to be creative!
The Acai (pronounced ah-sah-ee) berry is a small, round, dark purple berry similar in appearance to a blueberry. Acai is a superfood that is packed all of nutrients and antioxidants. Acai is especially calcium and vitamin A, and a 50 g serving of powdered, freeze-dried acas fruit pulp contains whopping 26 g of dietary fibre per serving! 50 g of free-dried acas berry pulp also offers 16 g of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and also contains an abundance of protein and disease-fighting phytochemicals.
Peanut Butter Acai Smoothie Bowl Recipe:
Ingredients for Base:
- 4 tbsp acai powder (or one frozen acai smoothie package)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp all-natural peanut butter
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 generous handful baby spinach leaves
- 1 tsp honey
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 1 sliced fresh banana
- 5 sliced strawberres
- 1 sliced kiwi
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Blend the acai, protein powder, frozen banana, coconut milk, peanut butter, spinach leaves and honey together in a blender until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add an extra splash of coconut milk or water until the texture resembles that of a thick smoothie.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Add toppings & enjoy!
Author: Dr. Katie Au
B.Sc. Kin (Hons), D.C., D.Ac, CSCS, FCCRS©, ART®, GT®
Toronto Chiropractor | Acupuncture Practitioner | Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist