The neck is an area that often gets stiff and tight due to various reasons. One, most office workers and the general population spend too much time sitting in front of the computer. Two, most office workers have not set up an ergonomically correct workstation. Thirdly, a majority of individuals who are stressed out carry their tension in the neck and shoulders.
To help keep your neck healthy, I will go through my go to stretches for you office workers! Try to do this daily and it will help reduce joint stiffness in the neck and reduce tension around the neck & shoulder region!
1) Shoulder Shrugs with Breathing
– Inhale and shrug your shoulders up high, then exhale and relax your shoulders
2) Seated shoulder circles
– start with small circles and then progress to larger circles
3) Neck Circles
– go clockwise and counterclockwise
4) Seated Chin Tuck
– add overpressure with your index and middle finger
5) Upper Trapezius Stretch
– Shrug, stretch, then reach down to the floor to depress the shoulder
If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to come in for a consultation to speak with our excellent practitioners at Lawrence Park Health.