Healthy Superfood Hot Chocolate with Nutrient-Dense Antioxidants
If you’re a chocoholic with a bit of a “sweet tooth” like me, you might agree that there’s nothing better than a warm cup of creamy hot chocolate on a cold winter day! If you’re also like me, however, you might be one of those “lucky” individuals who has severe food sensitivities. As such, I wanted to share one of my favourite alternative recipes to a traditional holiday and cold weather favourite, hot chocolate – I hope you enjoy this refined sugar free, dairy free, egg free, wheat and gluten free recipe as much as I do. Bonus tidbit: this version of hot chocolate is not only delicious, but it is packed full of antioxidants and superfoods!
- 1 can full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder or finely grated fresh turmeric root
- 3 cardamon pods, crushed
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger root
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 tbsp raw organic cacao (NOT cocoa)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (omit if you don’t like spice)
- Pinch Himalayan pink crystal salt
- Optional: coconut sugar / cane sugar / agave / stevia / maple syrup to taste
- In a medium-sized pot, gently warm coconut milk with water over medium heat until it just starts to steam (but not quite bubble / boil).
- Add all ingredients except for cacao and vanilla, stirring gently. Bring to a low boil and allow to simmer very slowly for 5-6 minutes, whisking to prevent over-boiling.
- Remove from heat and add the cacao and vanilla, whisking to combine. Strain if desired, serve and enjoy!
- If you have a Vitamix or similar blender, step #3 can be replaced by blending everything in the blender until smooth and slightly frothy – but be extremely careful, as blending hot ingredients can be tricky – you’ll want to make sure you avoid any steam or liquids that might escape when transferring the liquid and / or removing the lid of your blender.
Health Benefits of Superfood Ingredients in Antioxidant Hot Chocolate:
Raw Cacao: rich in essential vitamins and minerals, increases energy, improves mood, can act as an anti-depressant, improves cardiac health, decreases risk of heart disease and stroke, increases satiety, reduces appetite and aids in weight loss, can help to reduce PMS symptoms, assists with liver and pancreatic functions (detoxification, regulates blood sugar, improves digestion), antioxidant and anti-aging effects.
Coconut: anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, regulates blood sugar, boots immune system, increases satiety, reduces appetite and aids in weight loss, helps with lipolysis (mobilizes fat so your body can use it as energy) and fat-loss, boosts metabolism, quick source of energy for the body to use immediately, antioxidant and anti-aging effects, aids in gut health.
Turmeric: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-aging effects, anti-cancer, assists liver with detoxification, regulates blood sugar, reduces risk for diabetes, pain reduction, promotes healing, great for gut health.
Ginger: great for helping indigestion, promotes healthy appetite and regular digestion, improving gut health, absorption and assimilation, reduces nausea and bloating, kick starts sluggish metabolism and digestion, benefits heart and circulatory systems, can help to fight bacterial and fungal infections, anti-cancer.
Cardamom: full of phytonutrients (especially manganese, which is a trace mineral that helps the body form connective tissue, bones, sex hormones; also crucial for normal nerve and brain function, carbohydrate and fat metabolism, absorption of calcium, regulation of blood sugar), natural breath freshener and cavity-preventer, anti-cancer, good for heart health, lowers blood pressure, regulates blood sugar and reduces diabetes, bronchodilator (helps with breathing issues, such as asthma), improves digestion, good alternative to sweets.
Cinnamon: antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic properties, balances blood sugar which fights diabetes, increases blood circulation, helps to reduce cholesterol, improves heart health, may help lower cancer risk, fights infections and viruses, can help prevent Candida overgrowth, helps to defend against cognitive decline and protects brain function against neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
Himalayan Crystal Salt: regulates water content in body, promotes healthy pH balance in cells, helps to regulate blood sugar, reduces signs of aging, helps with digestion, helps to improve absorption of other food particles in intestines, prevents muscle cramps, promotes vascular (vein) health, regulates blood pressure with sufficient water and potassium intake.
Cayenne Pepper: increases metabolism, improves digestion and gut health, helps with detoxification, reduces acidity in body, stimulates circulation, reduces cramps and PMS symptoms, lowers high cholesterol and helps to prevent heart disease.
Author: Dr. Katie Au
B.Sc. Kin (Hons), D.C., D.Ac, CSCS, FCCRS©, ART®, GT®
Toronto Chiropractor | Acupuncture Practitioner | Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist