Traditional Insalata Caprese, or “Caprese salad,” is a simple but flavourful Italian salad, made of fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and sweet basil. The salad is seasoned with extra virgin olive oil and salt. Don’t be tricked by the small list of ingredients in this recipe – it is absolutely AWESOME!
Here is my take on the traditional Caprese salad, inspired by my most recent trip to Southern Italy. This recipe is rich in vitamins, healthy fats, and protein. Enjoy!
Insalata Caprese Stuffed Avocado:
- 2 Ripe avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, halved, or equivalent in fresh heirloom tomatoes, cut into small chunks
- 4 oz baby buffalo mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- 5-6 Fresh basil leaves, torn into smaller pieces
- 1 Tsp minced fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp aged extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp aged balsamic glaze reduction for drizzling on top
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Fresh basil leaves, whole, for garnish
- Combine tomatoes, bufalo mozzarella, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Those well to evenly combine all ingredients.
- Place avocado halves onto the plate, empty-pit side up.
- Spoon Caprese salad filling into each avocado and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Garnish with fresh basil and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Author: Dr. Katie Au
B.Sc. Kin (Hons), D.C., D.Ac, CSCS, FCCRS©, ART®, GT®
Toronto Chiropractor | Acupuncture Practitioner | Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist