Do you ever have trouble falling asleep at night? Next time you are struggling to put your mind to rest and fall asleep try this breathing pattern.
It is incredibly simple and free and if it works than it was all worth while.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of 4
- Hold your breath for a count of 7
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of 8
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
This works as a type of meditation as it reduces anxiety and causes your body to feel relaxed.
If you’re having trouble sleeping, give it a try! Just remember 4-7-8 🙂
Lauren Smith, Physiotherapy Assistance, Personal Training Specialist